Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Parenting





My baby is getting big. This was a couple mornings ago as the kids and I were lying in my bed enjoying the morning. Emma was so content to be there, watching, taking it all in. I love how she holds her hands together, it's precious.

As I put all of my babies to bed this evening I started thinking about parenting and the challenges that go along with it. They start off so small and innocent, all they need is love and attention. Then they grow and so do the parenting responsibilities. Not only do they need love and attention but guidence and boundaries. One day you think 'wow, I'm doing something right' only to be smacked in the face the next day with the reality that there is still much work to be done. My four year old gave me a parenting workout today. You know the days when after putting the kids to sleep you go and sit just to think about all the things you did wrong. You think, what happened? I thought I was doing  a good job.

Parenting is the hardest job in the world. To raise a child to be good, respectful, kind, generous and have morals. All the while so many things in this world are telling them the opposite. As I was sitting and thinking these things over I realized that I have good kids. I am raising them to be good people. There will always be bad days, days when the kids are fighting with each other and with me. But I guarentee those days will be the minority. My husband and I are putting in hard work but we are reaping the benefits as well.

The saying 'it's not a sprint, it's a marathon' can be applied to many things in my life but especially to parenting. On the days when I'm ready to give in and just don't want to deal with it I have to tell myself this. Days when I think I've got it all wrong, I really don't have a clue what I'm doing. Nothing is working, no one is listening and I'm failing my kids. All it takes is seeing my kids comfort each other or help each other and I'm back on track.

I think being a Mother is harder than it's ever been. I think about the reasons I created this blog in the first place, really just to have some type of documentation that in 20 years I can say 'here it is, it really happened, I may not remember every little detail but it happened'. For the longest time I was reading other peoples blogs and thinking, I'm not alone. I may have a child throwing a tantrum on the floor, one begging for a drink and one wanting to be fed but I'm not alone. There are many other Mothers out there that are dealing with the same thing and it's nice to know that. I hope that this blog can give encouragement and be uplifting to other Moms (Dads, Grandparents, Anyone) out there.

2 comments:

  1. this is really great! You such a good mom, much wiser than I was and I'm so happy that you're able to stay home and enjoy them. It so good that you'll have this blog to have you remember once they're grown and gone.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...