Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How to Explain Death to a Child



There should be a question mark at the end of the title because I'm trying to figure out the answer myself. As a child I can remember being so afraid that people I loved were going to pass away. I don't know where that fear came from.

 How do you explain death to a 4 year old without planting fear?

My Aunt passed away. Today was her funeral service. I wasn't sure what to tell Aubrey. There have been a few instances where we have discussed death and heaven in a very child friendly way. I decided to try to make it as simple as I could. Before we left I told her that Grandmas sister had died and went to heaven to be with Jesus. She asked me if we were going to die too, I told her a simple 'no, not for a long time'. She seemed okay with that and didn't say too much after. I thought it probably just went over her head and she just didn't get it.

We went to the service and as we left she questioned what the casket was. We went to the cemetery to say a final goodbye, she was fine as she stood by her Grandmas side. Still I thought that she really didn't get it.

We sat down in the car and started to pull away and from the back seat she asks me

Mommy, I thought we were going to see Grandmas sister.

Me:
Well, hunny she has already passed away and went to heaven.

Aubrey:
I know that. I thought we were going to get to see her rise up.


I told her that my Aunt had already risen, we just didn't get to see it.

Please send prayers to my family, especially my Aunts children, grandchildren and sisters.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...