Monday, January 9, 2012

Fancy Bread



Dear Kids,

This post is for you. This is the story of 'The Fancy Bread'. It's a simple story really but I remind myself of it all the time and wanted you to know it.


A couple of years ago when Aubrey was 3 and Brandon was still just a baby, a friend and I decided to meet up at the local playground to have a picnic lunch and let the kids play. I packed our lunch up and off we went.

The kids played and had a great time and after awhile we were all ready to sit down and eat. I pulled out the lunch I had packed for Aubrey and myself and started to eat. That's when I noticed my friend unwrapping her child's sandwich.

Ohhhhh, she's got the fancy bread, I told myself.

She's got the fancy bread and here we are with store brand whole wheat.

I should've gotten us the fancy bread when I went to the store the other day. The next time I get groceries, we're getting fancy bread.

That's when my friend interrupted my thoughts and said:

'Yeah, my husband used up all the bread for his lunch. He left us with 2 heels and I didn't have time to go buy more before we left. I had to make (child's name here) a sandwich by trimming up the 2 pieces.'

Gulp, I'm an idiot I thought.

Yes, your Mother was envying someone else's bread. When my own bread was just as good.

Kids, you know that thing I'm always preaching about. The one about being grateful for everything you have. Umm... yeah, as much as I try to be thankful and grateful for everything that I have, sometimes I need to take a big dose of my own medicine.

This is bigger than just bread. It's really an analogy about life. About being happy with what you have. Will you always have the best, most expensive things out there. No, most likely you wont.

I know I may never have the biggest home or the most expensive car that money can buy. But you know what? I'm okay with that. You know why? Because I have a home that contains so much love that it's ready to burst at any given moment. And I know that home is not a house. Home is my family and wherever they are, is home.

The things that matter cannot be bought.

Is it okay to strive for and have nice things? Of course it is, it's a great thing to work hard for things that you want. But only because it's what you want. Not because you see someone else with it and think you have to have it. The most expensive cars, houses, electronics ... it's all 'fancy bread'.

Family ... friends ... love ... time. These are the things that matter. You, are what matter.







1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...