Monday, February 27, 2012

Cleaning Out the Clutter




As I have mentioned before I may, possibly.....probably have a slight hoarding problem. Well, I don't know if you would really refer to it as hoarding or just being a pack rat. Basically it's hard for me to get rid of anything. I've already diagnosed myself as having sentimental hoarding tendencies. Things that bring back memories or good feelings - I want to keep. Normal people probably have that same condition to a certain extent. They keep some of their kids clothes or baby's first bib, things like that.

 I tend to keep everything!! Baby clothes, shoes, bibs, books, boxes, craft supplies and the list goes on.

I'm also a piler. I have areas in my home where I will just pile stuff, telling myself that I'm going to put it away or I'll move it. But then I don't and it just sits. I have one at the bottom of the stairs in a basket. I usually put stuff that needs to go upstairs in the basket but before I actually take it upstairs it's turned into a small mountain. I also have one of these at the top of the steps on my dryer - things that need to come downstairs. I think it's a good idea to have a box or basket to take down or up the stairs, I just need to follow through and actually take it. Not just let it sit.

Now this isn't all bad. For example when Aubrey was born and I kept all of her old things. It was great when Brandon came along because I still had car seats, strollers, high chairs, toys and ect. Even years later when I had Emma I still had all of Aubrey s old clothes for her to wear which was so extremely helpful. So, to a certain extent - keeping things is not all bad. I just think there is a medium that I need to find, as in all things.


One of my main problems is that I will go through stages where I want to get organized so I will pull all of my boxes and tubs out to go through them and then I'll run out of steam or get frustrated and they usually get pushed aside or stuffed somewhere they don't belong.

Have you seen Hoarders?? Such a sad show, but it has come to help me realize that I need to make a change. Even though I'm nowhere near the point that the people on that show are, I realize that they didn't just get stuff packed to the top of their ceiling overnight, it was a gradual growth. They probably started as pilers too.

The good news is, I'm changing.

I don't want the stuff consuming me because I know it's not about the stuff. The stuff doesn't matter. My new mantra has become 'simplify and organize' and I truly want to and intend to do it.

I'm on a quest. A quest to simplify and get back to the basics of love and life. I don't want to be consumed by this world that will fill my life with things I don't need and things that don't matter. I want my family and my friends and I want happiness and nature and laughter. I don't want every single paper I ever wrote from kindergarten to high school. That 'stuff' needs to go. I don't need 10 different pairs of the same color jeans. I want to simplify and fulfill. I really want to practice what I preach.

To keep myself accountable I'm going to try to blog about how it's going and give any tips or tricks that I'm using along the way. So stay tuned for some updates and hopefully some encouragement.

A big help for me recently has been the birth of all the yard sale groups on Facebook. Do you have one in your area? They are awesome! Basically they are groups where you can buy/sell used items online. Sort of like a craigslist but so much easier.

I'm proud to say that I've sold a few things but have not purchased anything! I really wanted to get a dresser that I saw and I would have loved to refurbish but all Hubby had to do was point to the kitchen table where I have a huge pile going on.

Touche Hubbs... Touche.


 A couple of months ago I watched a video that I just couldn't shake. It's has really inspired me to simplify and that once again. It aint about the stuff. It carries such a beautiful message about the TRUE necessities of life. I know this way of housing is not for everyone and I'm sure it's not for me but I certainly have taken a  lot from this video that I will be putting to use. Please watch and be inspired.


2 comments:

  1. Yay for you! I'd seen this type of home on the Today show a couple of years ago.....I realized sometime ago that the size home I have now is all we need (more) having BIGGER just means MORE work....don't really need that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! It's not easy keeping up a home, inside and out. I don't think I could go as small as she has but I know that I need to simplify what we do have.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...