Sunday, April 8, 2012

How To Make a Pony - O








I've never really been into hair. I was always a tomboy and a pony tail was all I needed growing up. I was also a late bloomer so I really didn't get into that type of thing until my late teens and early twenties and even then it was really basic stuff. 


So since I now have 2 girls I figured it's time to channel my inner girlie side and try some new things. I've been doing a whole lot better since this unfortunate incident. I'm actually really getting into it and trying new things. 

One thing I started making recently was a Pony-O. These are so simple but very cute! 

All you need is:



  • Glue Gun
  • Hair Band
  • Ribbon
  • Scissors
  • Lighter




First you are going to gather your ribbon and then cut them all the same length. I did mine at about 10 inches but I think I'll try them a couple inches longer next time. These did not flop as much as I would have liked. I also think I may add just a few more ribbons.





The next thing is you will need to heat set the ends of your ribbon. This is to keep them from fraying. All you have to do is run the end of the ribbon that you just cut over the flame for just a second so that the heat will bind the ends. That's it!





Next you will start layering your ribbon to make an asterisk type of shape. Start with a thick piece of ribbon for the bottom. As you start to layer one on top of the other you will put just a dab of hot glue to keep them together.





Just keep layering until all of your ribbon is used. Then grab your hair band and put a thick line of hot glue and lay your band on top.



Then add more hot glue on top of the band.

I also added a piece of ribbon to go around so it would cover where I glued and make it look a little more finished.


Let it dry and you are good to go! There are a lot of different variations of the Pony-O out there but this one was so simple and easy. I'll let you know how it holds/stays together. So far so good.



Here's how they turned out. I used red, white and blue so they would match Aubrey's soccer uniform.









I really like them and they turned out really cute. It didn't take a whole lot of time to put them together so that's a plus. 


Like I said, next time I think I will use more ribbon and longer ribbon. And also try some different colors and patterns. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...