Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Crockpot Slow Cooker Recipie: Chickadilla Soup





Oh. My. Goodness.


I tore this recipe out of a magazine a couple of months ago. It's called Chickadilla Soup and the recipe is from Kashi.

It's super healthy and the taste is amazing. I made it yesterday in the crock pot.

Ingredients:


  • 1lb Chicken Breast
  • 30oz diced tomatoes
  • 10oz mild enchilada sauce
  • 4oz chopped mild green chilies
  • 1 quart chicken broth
  • 2 15oz cans of black or pinto beans
  • 10 oz frozen corn
  • 1/2 medium onion
  • 1tsp cilantro
  • 1tsp cumin, chili powder and salt
  • 1/2tsp black pepper


I didn't have any corn so I did not include that. I used pinto beans and 1 whole onion. 


Directions:
  1. Place all ingredients into a 6 qt. slow cooker. Mix. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
  2. After a few hours, once chicken is thoroughly cooked, remove from pot, shred and return to pot for remaining cooking time. 

Notes:

After a couple hours I shredded the chicken. Then I turned my cooker on high. After about 6 hours total we had dinner. It was good but I wasn't sure if it was a keeper or not. During a commercial break of The Bachelor around 8 something I went upstairs and realized I had left the crock pot on high and forgot to turn it off. I turned it off and then decided to have another bowl. 

IT WAS AMAZING!!! Just those few extra hours made all the difference. The chicken melted in my mouth and all the different flavors had fuzed into awesomeness. It was slightly spicy with just the right kick. I didn't even add anything extra to it besides salt. 

I ended up having another bowl.

I also ate it for breakfast and would have had it for lunch but it was all gone. SADNESS!

I will definetly be making this again but I will make sure to make it earlier so it can cook longer, I think that made all the difference. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds good! I will be adding it to the meal plan for this month.

    I wonder if you were to drain the tomatoes, beans, etc... but still add in the spices if it would be as good? {The Mr. here prefers stews over soups} hmmm...

    (does Aldi sell enchilada sauce?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it might be even better if you drain the liquids. When I accidentally left our crock pot on high I also had left the lid off so I think a lot of the liquid evaporated. I might try it without the liquids next time :) I think a lot of flavor comes from the enchilada sauce and green chilies so as long as you still have those it should be fine.

    Sadly, I have only seen enchilada sauce maybe once at Aldi. I got ours at Walmart along with the green chilies. Maybe we could start a petition? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hadn't seen enchilada sauce @ Aldi, but, I could have been missing it (imagine that) - so I've been buying stuff like that from Wally-world. I wish they would get some more stuff at Aldi, just a few more things/variety. If they can import German cookies, they can get some enchilada sauce! :) But I'll just add the stuff to my Walmart list for next week.

      Delete
  3. Sounds good, gonna have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...