Thursday, December 13, 2012

Living Room Reveal: Do It Yourself Wainscoting



It's finally done!!!!!!


Well, almost. I know I've been going on and on about this living room project we have been up to but we are finally done for the most part. 


When we first moved in this is what the living room looked like:




Basically the same as the day it had been built. Well, we came in guns blazin' and decided to paint a shade of blue that we had picked out at Lowe's  It was brighter than we expected and took quite a bit of getting used to. We started to really like it and now I think it was the perfect pick. 


Here is what it looked like for a couple of months.



I'm so happy we picked it. I think it's beautiful!!

So, on to the project. Before buying the house I had been dreaming of all the awesome things I wanted to do and was so excited to decorate. I knew I wanted to do wainscoting, I loooove wainscoting. I think it gives a lot of character and it's just really beautiful. 


I did a lot of research until I was ready to take the challenge and just do it. A couple of months(yes I said months, not the fastest project I've ever done!) ago we bought our materials and got to work. 


Although wainscoting looks amazing and awfully difficult, it's actually pretty easy and anyone can do it! The first thing I did was hang the chair rail. 


I bought one of these cool things:



In my opinion it's okay for smaller projects but with all the upgrading we are planning to do we will definitely be upgrading to a compound miter saw after Christmas.


The hardest part of hanging the chair rail was the inside corner cuts. It was really difficult to do with this little hand saw but we made it work.


Don't worry, no baby toes were harmed during the making of this project!

My helpers:





Not only did I do my living room wall but I also did this wall that you see when you walk up the stairs. 
My fridge sits on the other side. 




So once I had all the chair rails hung, it was on to the boxes. The boxes were super easy, although the cuts did get a little tedious. Here's what everything looked like before I primed and painted.







AND the final product!!!!!























I LOVE it!!! I love how warm and inviting it makes the room and really adds so much character. 

I still need to do about 1 more coat of paint and do some touch up but I'm calling this project complete! 

:: Happy dance::

The only bad thing that happened is I tipped over my can of primer onto my carpet. YIKES! We are going to clean the carpet after the last coat of paint, so hopefully this comes out. Please please!!




So now that this is finally done, I'm very excited to move on to finishing the rest of the living room. Hubby and I have decided to take one room at at time. As much as I'd love to go and paint my kitchen, the living room needs to be finished first! Next up curtains, new ceiling fan, hang the T.V. and family pictures, maybe a rug, pillows for the couch... the list goes on and on :)

2 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous!!!! I think you're going to be able to out shine me in this department as well!!! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...